Tuesday 27 August 2013

Baking Classes, power yoga classes and going crazy at a Book Fair in Bangalore!

The past few months have been filled with fun and absolute craziness. I was in Bangalore at my aunt's place. The first few days I spent calling every yoga class in Indiranagar ( I had to lose all the weight from the baking spree). Most of them were either too far off or offered only 3 classes a week, BUT I had a lot of weight to lose (according to my mother... not me, I think am just well rounded with just the right amount of curves!). Finally after days of phone calls, I decided to try out Fit n Fine Power yoga centre (next to Namdhari's on the ESI Hospital road) and I actually enjoyed it. I didn't even mind getting up at 6:30 A.M and walking from home to the yoga class. Now I believe all those people who said yoga makes you feel better on the whole, and it's not just about losing weight. You have a positive attitude all throughout the day and you just feel better about yourself.

After yoga class I really didn't have much to do with my time, so when my cousin suggested that I start a baking class for kids at home I jumped at the idea. Tanya designed a very beautiful flyer for me and told all her friends about the classes. Three people attended my baking class ( I know...so much for all the big plans). There was Netra (Tanya's friend, who's always super excited about everything), Soni (our neighbour and Tanu's friend) and finally Tanu (my cousin). It was all in a rush, I got all the recipes printed out and all the stuff ordered in 3 days. The 16 days of those classes were so much fun (Of course, there were a few disasters with the power going off and all) and the girls managed to learn some great stuff. Here are a few pictures.
This is the poster that Tanya designed



These are the cupcakes we made in the baking class, it was a moist chocolate cupcake with buttercream icing and sugar beads...pretty no.

And finally the book fair at the Basava Samithi Hall...this is where we went totally crazy! This book fair happens every couple of months at the same place and they sell books by weight ( 100 Rs for 1 kilo, so you can imagine my excitement). The place is stuffed with all sorts of books and arranged neatly too. Last year, I took my brother with me to the fair and we bought around 6 kilo's (and I found Keith Floyd's cookbooks). This year, Tanya and I went twice and I guess we bought around 10 kilo's! Tanya and her friend Riya went through all the boxes underneath the tables for more books. I got Keith Floyd's cook book again along with the Ballymaloe cook book. All in all, a really really good bargain (coz most of those cookbooks cost an arm and a leg!).
 And finally here's a recipe from the cooking class.These cookies are amazingly moist and make a great snack.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 C). In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
2.   Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (or you can use aluminium foil to line the baking sheets) .

3. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges and set in the centre 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week (I assure you, there won't be any left to store).

No comments:

Post a Comment