Sunday 2 December 2012

Spiced Peaches in syrup

Yesterday I made a promise to myself, am going to try and finish whatever I started this year. (Except knitting, I still can't purl). And to finish all the things I started, I need to remember what it is that I started doing. Now, that's going to take some time, as I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday! So, while am at it, I thought about posting another recipe on the blog. This time Spiced Peaches in syrup would be the best thing, what with Christmas around the corner and all.

The idea for Spiced Peaches in syrup came to me when I saw Nigella ( The original Domestic Goddess) make this on her TV show. She gave these peaches in tiny jars as Christmas gifts. Nigella made these using canned peaches, but I wanted to try them using fresh ones.  So when I saw peaches in the supermarket, I just had to make them. They are quite easy to make and it tastes really good. And you have to agree, they make very nice gifts too.

When I made these last year, I did not have all the spices that Nigella used; so I made some using whatever I had on hand. So here's the recipe I used to make this yummy treat.

Recipe for Spiced Peaches in syrup

Ingredients:
4-5 Ripe Peaches (halved but not peeled)
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Granulated sugar
2 cm piece Ginger (sliced)
1 stick cinnamon
3 cloves
2 star anise
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1/2 tsp dried mint
1/4 teaspoon Sea salt or Maldon salt
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon

Instructions:
1. In a large sauce pan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Add the halved peaches, cut side in. Add all the spices, lemon juice and zest.
2. Let the peaches cook, about 10 minutes or so. Check with a skewer to see if the peaches are cooked.
3. Once the peaches are cooked, strain and reserve the liquid. Place liquid in the same saucepan and boil until syrupy.
4. Take the peel off the peaches and drop them back in the syrup and allow to cool completely. Store in a airtight containers and refrigerate.

Note: Nigella serves these with roast ham or cheese. I prefer to eat them as they are, or with ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment